Reclaiming Your Quality of Life: Housing Disrepair Compensation for Loss of Enjoyment

If you live in a rented property, your landlord has a legal duty to keep it in good repair. This includes ensuring that it’s free from damp and mould, that there’s proper ventilation, and that you can get hot water and electricity.

If your property is in disrepair, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. This can be for damage to your personal belongings, injury and harm, loss of enjoyment, and even financial losses caused by the disrepair.


Housing disrepair solicitors can help you claim damages for losses incurred due to a landlord’s breach of their legal repairing obligations. These include the cost of repairs, loss of rent, and extra costs associated with living in an unfit property.

Damages to personal possessions and belongings are also often a feature of housing disrepair claims. This includes clothes, furniture, carpets and electrical appliances.

The amount of compensation awarded for these damages is determined by the level of inconvenience that was caused. For example, if you are renting a 4 bedroom flat and 2 rooms are damp, the percentage repayable will be up to 50%, while if you have been living in a uninhabitable apartment as a result of damp, it could be 100%.

You can also claim for health issues or injuries as a direct result of the disrepair, as well as claiming for general inconveniences. These include the disruption of your daily life, loss of enjoyment and any additional expenses that you may have incurred.


If you have an infestation of pests in your home then this can be a huge issue. They can make you ill and also spread diseases.

They can also cause damage to your furniture and eat away at the material. This could mean that you end up paying more for repairs.

The most common reason that pests enter your home is because it is too humid, so if you want to reduce the amount of these insects, it’s important to keep your house dry. Buying a dehumidifier is a good way of doing this.

You should also check out for areas that are prone to condensation. This is because pests will tend to hide in these areas, as they’ll be able to get the water that they need.

Finding evidence of a nest is another good indication that you have an infestation of pests in your property. This is particularly true with rodents, who will often build a nest beneath or behind your shelves and storage areas.

Damp & Mould

If you are a tenant and your landlord fails to repair damp and mould damage in your property, you could be entitled to make a housing disrepair claim. UK law requires your landlord to carry out repairs to your home and ensure it is suitable for you to live in.

The law also requires your landlord to fix any structural problems that cause damp and mould. This could include water leaks, damaged guttering or rainwater pipes and cracks in your roof.

Damp and mould can be a serious problem for tenants and it can cause health issues such as asthma and other respiratory problems. It is important to get your property dealt with as soon as possible, especially if the problem affects your family members.

In many cases, the best course of action is to speak to a housing disrepair solicitor who can advise you on whether or not you have a case for compensation. They will also be able to advise you on how much compensation you might be owed.

Loss of enjoyment

If you live in a home that is unsafe or uninhabitable due to a disrepair, this can make living a lot more stressful and inconvenient. Depending on the extent of the damage, you may be entitled to claim for general damages which can help you to recover some of your loss of enjoyment.

Our experienced housing disrepair claims solicitors can help you claim compensation if your landlord has failed to keep your property in good repair. This can be due to a number of reasons including damp, mould and electrical faults.

Whether your landlord is a private landlord, a housing association or a council, they are required by law to ensure that your home is kept in good condition and repair. If they fail to carry out these duties, you can seek compensation for the loss of your enjoyment of your home through our specialist housing disrepair claims solicitors in St Helens.

We have helped many clients who have suffered illness, injury or loss as a result of a property being in disrepair. Contact us today to discuss your situation and how we can help you with a housing disrepair claim.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button